Halloween is another one of those holidays when we give ourselves some slack and indulge in some not-so-good for you treats. Here is a list of 10 candies full of sugar and calories that you definitely want to stay away from this year!
1. Whoppers–Ahh, the taste of childhood. Whoppers have been around since the 1930’s, but the ingredients have been altered quite a bit since then. No longer is chocolate listed as an ingredient when referring to the nutritional info on the packaging. Instead, you will see corn syrup and malted milk in it’s place…doesn’t that sound yummy?
2. Tootsie Roll–Who would have thought that a tiny Tootsie Roll could be so detrimental to your health?! Eating just one small roll will add 25 calories and 5 grams of sugar to your diet. And, let’s face it; no one ever eats just one…
3. Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups–A two-pack of this American favorite will cost you 210 calories and 23% of your daily intake of saturated fats. I guess that’s what you get when you combine chocolate AND peanut butter…it’s a dangerous combination.
4. Reece’s Pieces–Sticking with the Reece’s family, these delicious little candies are hard to limit yourself to just a few. The bad news: they are loaded with trans fats…so, eating more than just a few can negatively affect your diet in a quick way.
5. Twix–These are my personal weakness. Unfortunately, they are also one of the worst candies on this list! Eating a pack of two cookie bars will set you back 250 calories, 24 grams of sugar, and 12 grams of fat. If that doesn’t cause your jaw to drop, I don’t know what will.
6. Milk Duds–Eating just 13 pieces of this must-have movie theater candy will ring in at 170 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 20 grams of sugar. Not only that, but the “chocolate” coating is not actually chocolate…it’s a mixture of cheaper synthetic ingredients.
7. Milky Way–This candy is sure to be found in every trick-or-treat bag on every Halloween. However, the normal size candy bar contains 240 calories and 31 grams of sugar! This is a candy you definitely want to keep away from the kiddos before bed.
8. Baby Ruth–This classic candy bar is another high-ender. With 270 calories and 27 grams of fat, this candy bar would take a 45-minute cardio workout to burn off just the calorie content.
9. 3 Musketeers–These heaven-on-earth candy bars will throw all of your hard work right out the window. 240 calories and 36 grams of sugar. That’s depressing…
10. Skittles–We all knew this candy would be on the list! Out of this entire list, Skittles contain the HIGHEST sugar content per serving…46 grams. As if that wasn’t bad enough news, a pack of these colorful candies also contains 250 calories. Yikes!