Everyone has their go-to playlist to get them pumped for working out on their home treadmills, but did you know that it can also help you burn more calories? It’s true! In fact, you can subconsciously control your body to exercise in a certain way by strategically choosing songs.
“Manipulating tempo can work like a remote control, telling your body to speed up or slow down without a heightened sense of exertion,” Carl Foster, Ph.D., a professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse, told SELF magazine.
In other words, using the right songs can help you create a workout that makes burning more calories seems easy. You can make the most out of your specially designed playlist by hooking up your iPod to the TRUE Fitness PS850 treadmill, which comes with an integrated iPod connector and headphone jack.
You’ll need to time out the beats per minute in each song to create an order that helps you warm up, sprint, recover and cool down. There’s no rule that says you have to stick to one genre or era, so pick songs that you like and that will get you excited to work out.
Ready to rock out the next time you hit the treadmill? We’ll get you started with our top 10 pump-up tunes:
1. “Titanium,” David Guetta featuring Sia
2. “Walk this Way,” Aerosmith
3. “Blurred Lines,” Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell
4. “Can’t Hold Us,” Macklemore featuring Ray Dalton
5. “Under Pressure,” Queen and David Bowie
6. “Live it Up,” Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull
7. “Come and Get It,” Selena Gomez
8. “Dirty Little Secret,” The All-American Rejects
9. “Hey Ya!” Outkast
10. “I Will Wait,” Mumford & Sons